July 17, 2017 5 Minute Actions
PREFACE: When these are original Direct Action ideas from Together We Will North Carolina, they will be marked as such. Others are not original to Together We Will North Carolina and are shared from their sources with only minor formatting changes, titles, and sometimes context added. If you have any questions or want to submit a direct action idea for inclusion, please email email@example.com. Thanks!
We respect that a diversity of opinion exists within the progressive community, and we trust TWW-NC members to choose the suggested actions that align with their personal values.
North Carolina focus: Support voting rights in NC, say no to restrictive voter ID laws
North Carolina’s 2013 voter ID law (Voter Information Verification Act) was struck down by the courts and now has been fully adjudicated. However, the Republicans in Raleigh have not given up on their goal of suppressing votes with restrictive voter ID requirements. One action they’re considering to minimize the risk of losing again in court is proposing a voter ID amendment to the state constitution, which would put it before the whole state for a vote. It would have a reasonable chance of passing without significant, widespread public education, as many people believe that voter fraud exists and voter ID laws would prevent it. We’ll likely see this come up in special session in August or September, start applying pressure now.
- Sign this petition from Democracy NC: http://bit.ly/2trkNPS
- Call or email your NC state senator and representative (http://bit.ly/1lPF5K8), Senator Berger (919-733-5708, Phil.Berger@ncleg.net) and Representative Moore (919-733-3451, Tim.Moore@ncleg.net) to urge them to refrain from new attempts to solve a “voter fraud” problem that does NOT exist, based on the recent report of the Republican-controlled State Board of Elections. Talking points:
- NO evidence of voter fraud that would be prevented by requiring voter IDs
- NO evidence that requiring voter ID decreases voter fraud in states with strict voter ID laws
- AMPLE evidence that strict voter ID laws suppress the votes of minority populations.
Shared from Democracy NC, Common Cause NC
National focus: Support health care for all, oppose BCRA
First, celebrate a win (for the moment, at least): the administration’s “Election Integrity Commission” has put a hold on its request to states for voter data because of multiple lawsuits that have been filed and pushback from most states and many voters. http://nyti.ms/2uxtg97
We’re nearing the end of the road for the Republican attempt to “replace Obamacare.” With McCain’s emergency surgery, the vote’s been postponed once again. It’s not clear if they have the votes to pass it. It is clear that they are trying to bribe senators who oppose it or are on the fence. It also is clear that the latest version continues to be opposed by major stakeholders, including national health care professional and hospital organizations, patient support groups, the AARP, actuarial professionals, and the health insurance industry itself. The last (?) CBO score is expected on Mon or Tues, with a procedural vote soon after, then possibly a full vote. Pedal to the metal time. July 18 is Indivisible’s National Day of Action to #STOPTRUMPCARE and #KILLTHE BILL.
- Kaiser Foundation Poll, July 14, most Americans (~60%) oppose BCRA: http://kaiserf.am/2t2pWyj
- Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, Senate Health Bill Can’t Be Fixed: http://bit.ly/2unD0CS
- Politico Pulse, Repeal Effort in Jeopardy: http://politi.co/1QmvbhP
- Blue Cross Blue Shield/America’s Health Insurance Plans letter to McConnell calling the “Consumer Freedom Option” (aka the Cruz amendment) in the current bill “unworkable in any form”: http://bit.ly/2tVqOHT
- Conservative Cato Institute re: “Consumer Freedom Option”: http://bit.ly/2vr4eor
ACTIONS, do what you can:
- You know the drill, we’ve been pounding it for weeks and it IS making a difference: contact Senators Burr (http://bit.ly/2ggj1if) & Tillis (http://bit.ly/2fVuXSk) every day you can, but at least on Tuesday, July 18. Call, fax, email via their web pages, use Stance to leave a voicemail. Personalize with how this affects YOU or your community:
- I am a North Carolinian who values quality, affordable health care for all and I do not accept the Senate’s healthcare bill and tax cut for the wealthy. I expect you to vote NO on the Better Care Reconciliation Act because it strips 1.3 million North Carolinians of their health insurance coverage and causes more than 600,000 more to lose Medicaid coverage. Blue Cross/Blue Shield calls a key component of the current bill “unworkable in any form.” Doctors, nurses, and hospital groups oppose it, as do 60% of Americans, according to a July 14 poll from Kaiser Health Tracking. The American Academy of Actuaries and Society of Actuaries have issued stark warnings about the Cruz Amendment, as has the conservative Cato Institute. The only healthcare legislation that should receive a YES vote is National Improved Medicare for All, HR676.
- If you’re a Tweeter, here’s a link to Tweets to send on Tuesday, July 18. Click on the image and you can copy/paste text or retweet. http://bit.ly/2rrHjaa. #STOPTRUMPCARE, #KILLTHE BILL.
- Contact three friends every day this week to challenge them to call THEIR senators, whatever their position.
- Share this document link from Center for American Progress so they can get info like that above for their state (good info for NC, too!): http://bit.ly/2ulX9sF.
- Here’s a link to share with Indivisible events across the country on July 18: http://bit.ly/2umZ1kz.
- Remind them to mention support for National Improved Medicare for All, HR676.
- Reach out especially to friends in these states to encourage them to contact their senators using the tools below (fax, text, Stance) and info from here: http://bit.ly/2ulX9sF
Fax your US legislators for free. US Reps: http://bit.ly/2l4Tgkx. US Senate: http://bit.ly/2l0HAin
Text “RESIST” to 50409 to fax your US legislators: https://resistbot.io
Use the Stance app to record phone messages for delivery to your US legislators: http://bit.ly/2tMNcVb
Find US senators on Twitter and Facebook here: http://bit.ly/1i311yd
Find US representatives on Twitter here: http://bit.ly/22PLON2
THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO!
TOGETHER WE WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE FOR NORTH CAROLINA & OUR COUNTRY!