Sept 13, 2017
PREFACE: When these are original Direct Action ideas from Together We Will North Carolina, they will be marked as such. Others are not original to Together We Will North Carolina and are shared from their sources with only minor formatting changes, titles, and sometimes context added. If you have any questions or want to submit a direct action idea for inclusion, please email email@example.com. Thanks! Health care education/action posts are written by Katrina Wesson & Wendy Royce, Hillsborough Progressives Taking Action (http://bit.ly/2t7ABI3)
Support CHIP (Child Health Insurance Program), Due to Expire on 9/30/17
CHIP covers “ 8.9 million children with family incomes above Medicaid eligibility limits who often lack access to affordable private coverage. Together with Medicaid, which covers an additional 37.1 million children, the programs provide a strong base of coverage for our nation’s low-income children. New legislative authority is needed to continue funding for CHIP beyond September 2017.” (http://kaiserf.am/2eR0uqd) There is bipartisan support for reauthorizing federal CHIP funding. However, some far-right Republicans, including NC’s Mark Meadows, are considering using a CHIP reauthorization bill to force through partisan legislation, such as elements of their failed Affordable Care Act repeal bill. Adding these partisan policy riders will slow the process and put pressure on already-stressed state CHIP budgets: http://bit.ly/2xigvQc. Find information about CHIP in NC here:http://bit.ly/2w4DiQm
- Sign this letter to Congress via Moms Rising, asking them to extend CHIP for 5 years http://bit.ly/2fefKhr
- Call or fax your US House representative (http://bit.ly/1e8pAws) and Senators Burr (http://bit.ly/2ggj1if) & Tillis (http://bit.ly/2fVuXSk) with these talking points:
- CHIP has helped to bring the national uninsured rate of children down to 5%. While I would like to see that 5% move to 0% via Improved Medicare for All, I do not want to see that 5% increase for any reason.
- 237,000 NC children benefit from CHIP.
- NC will likely run out of its current CHIP funding by the end of the year.
- Support a clean, bipartisan reauthorization bill.
- Include a personal story about how this would affect your family or community.
Fax your US legislators for free. US Reps: http://bit.ly/2l4Tgkx. US Senate: http://bit.ly/2l0HAin
Text “RESIST” to 50409 to fax your US legislators: https://resistbot.io
Use the Stance app to record phone messages for delivery to your US legislators: http://bit.ly/2tMNcVb
Find US senators on Twitter and Facebook here: http://bit.ly/1i311yd
Find US representatives on Twitter here: http://bit.ly/22PLON2
Get TWWNC 5 Minute Actions via text message, text “TWWNC” to 31996.
“Like” our public Facebook page: http://bit.ly/2t7i1CD
Join our closed (private) Facebook discussion page: http://bit.ly/2wBXkNO
Follow us on Twitter: http://bit.ly/2fxDiko and Instagram: http://bit.ly/2vMcC61
Bookmark our website: http://www.twwnc.org
Want to get more active with TWWNC? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO!
TOGETHER WE WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE FOR NORTH CAROLINA & OUR COUNTRY!